Finding Your True Purpose In Life
Today, the choice for careers are endless and we, of course, want to make a generous living with the career we decide upon. For many, although that career may be profitable it may not be our true destiny. We have one mortal life in this skin, how do you want to live it? Lived in happiness and passion or in a survival mentality?
What does the word “career” mean? Three dictionaries offered the following descriptions:
- The general course or progression of one’s working life or one’s professional achievements.
- A chosen pursuit or a profession for which one trains and which is undertaken as a permanent calling
- Describes an individuals’ journey through learning, work and other aspects of life
For those of you trying to “find yourself”, it may not be a career you’re searching for but more of an understanding of what you are meant to be. You can choose a profession or an occupation but what is your “calling”? If you’re truly living your calling (your purpose) it is your career. Living your passion will bring success and happiness. You will be living a life of wellbeing where your vocation is your passion and your passion is your vocation. Truly, you will be living your dream and others will be envying you your life!
It is time to ask yourself some important questions…What is your reason of for being; the reason for which you exist?
- Do you question your life because you’re struggling through it?
- You can’t figure out ‘what your passion’ is?
- You don’t know where to start but you know that the key to a fulfilling life is to find your purpose?
- Do you feel like you’re stuck in a maze of struggle?
- Do you wonder if you really have a purpose or if you’re destined to live a mediocre, purpose free life?
If you answered YES to any of these questions it is time to find Your True Purpose in Life!
In eras gone by children were encouraged to develop their skills and knowledge in the things they enjoyed doing, things that came naturally, things they had a strong interest in and spurred their imagination. Over the decades and through a multitude of reasons we lost that way of living and developing our life’s passions.
I know what you’re thinking… “What can a child possibly know about a true purpose in life”? Think back to your youth and remember. Your dreams and passions are clear at a young age; they have not been sullied by the ideas of ‘others’ and what you should be. They have not been influenced or dictated by the ‘rules of a prosperous life’. All any child understands is that their purpose is fun, it feels good and right, it’s what they think about day and night, it is what they want to learn about and they have a strong sense of confidence and achievement when they work on their passion. It doesn’t matter ‘what’ the passion or the purpose is…it is theirs.
There are two things to understand about finding your purpose as the key to a fulfilling life:
- Your purpose cannot be something that you don’t feel ‘right’ doing!
- You can have more than one purpose!
You wouldn’t still be reading if you felt that you are living your true purpose. I think it is now time to start a journey of discovery so that you can lead your true destiny…a life of passion, achievement, fulfillment and success.
Oh! And, if you’re thinking that it may be too late…then you are sooo wrong! I know a man that didn’t live his destiny until his late 60’s and for the past 20 years he’s been designing and teaching others the art of wood working. He’s made more wealth in these two decades than he did in the previous five decades as a financial advisor. He is happier and healthier than at any other time in his life.
- Grab a notebook and a pencil/pen and get ready to let the juices flow! It is important not to ‘over think’ just write your honest FIRST responses to the following questions. If you can’t bring to mind everything asked…do what you can. This is a discovery mission not a test!
- Write down your top 3 favourite things (interests) to do when you were a kid.
- Write down your top 3 LEAST favourite things to do when you were a kid.
- Write down your top 3 favourite things (interests) to do now.
- Write down your top 3 LEAST favourite things to do now.
- When you feel ‘In the zone’ at work, home or anywhere, what are you doing?
- How do you make your money? What is your job?
- How many hours a week do you spend at your job?
- Is there anything about your job that you like and feel you are really good at?
- What are the things about your job that you hate?
- When you feel the most comfortable in your own skin…what are you doing?
- There is likely a common link between some of your answers.
What bond of interests or things you like to do keep popping up in your answers? Write them down… Below is a typical client scenario when struggling to find your purpose so don’t be surprised by what you find!
Maria, not her real name, went through this exercise and found that dealing with animals and being outside kept popping up in her answers. When we talked about animals and being outside, she got animated and excited and emotional...that’s the KEY…she was emotional, she felt something…you have to be emotional about your purpose! Here’s the funny part about this client, she didn’t have any pets AND she worked in an office on a computer without any windows, very little interaction and certainly NO exposure to animals. No wonder she felt like she was off purpose…she was! After going through this process and more I am happy to say she has found her purpose and is living a fulfilling life. Once you do this exercise, you can move on to the next step of discovery for what you can do with that purpose to bring YOU into a rewarding and fulfilling life.